Senior Web Developer
Denver, CO 80203 US | Fully Remote TELECOMMUTE US
Meridian Technology Group is seeking a Senior Web Developer.
Our client is in need of a Senior Web Developer (Accessibility Subject Matter Expert) to partner with a staff member to work on the accessibility project. The accessibility project’s mission is to comply with State legislation to make electronic data accessible.
- Minimum of two years of experience in accessibility identification and resolution.
- Minimum of six months of successful experience in project management
- Experience with technical systems and industry standards. e.g., implementation and usage.
- Experience following WCAG AA 2.1 (2,0 and/or 2.2) standards.
- Detailed analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Experienced in manual and tool testing.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including technical writing skills.
- Ability to form strong relationships with all stakeholders to facilitate transparent and frequent communication.
- Ability to maintain strong relationships while sometimes delivering unwelcome directions, strong interpersonal skills.
- Practical application ability with Microsoft Office and Visio.
- Experience working within the education environment, either at a district or school.
- Experience working as a developer on a development team within a technology department or division.
- This position will under the leadership, and in conjunction with the digital accessibility manager be responsible for developing and implementing a strategy to address current digital accessibility issues and ensuring that accessibility is integrated into all future digital resources. This role will work proactively to mitigate accessibility issues, providing effective support and training to staff as well as performing the work to make objects accessible.
- The work of this role will be focused on ensuring that the department is prepared for and continually meeting the requirements of legislation. This includes but is not limited to the following areas:
- Website and digital resources
- Technical applications
- Training of Staff
- Policy creation and adoption
- Digital content documents (PDFs, word documents, excel spreadsheets, power point presentations, process flow documents, etc.
Although the process is simple to explain, it will be extremely complex to fully execute. A high-level description of the steps to follow for each object type:
- Each agency will take inventory of their digital documents, websites, and applications.
- The Office of Information Technology (OIT) will provide recommendations for how to make objects accessible.
- Agencies will develop policies (or guidelines) or adopt OIT policies for making objects accessible.
- Based on OIT recommendations, tools will be selected to facilitate the work of accessibility.
- Training will be provided to the division and unit personnel.
- The people within the divisions and units within each state agency will do the bulk of the work to make objects accessible. The individual in this role will provide support and actively make objects accessible.
- Each agency will:
- Periodically perform an audit of objects for accessibility compliance.
- Field, track, and manage reported violations and resulting compliance and/or penalty of reported violations.
- Coordinate with other divisions and agencies throughout.
This individual will perform the following duties:
- Quickly form strong relationships and partnerships within an organization as well as with external organizations. (ex. Digital Accessibility Manager, the Accessibility Champions, the representatives of OIT and other state agencies along with employees and contract staff)
- Attend, digest, and translate OIT directions into application and implementation.
- Attend OIT events including but not limited to:
- OIT workshops,
- Office hours
- Problem solving workshops, and
- Prepare and deliver clear and concise information using all modes of communication.
- Maintain a shared site where tools, training, policies, and guidance are available.
- Collaborate with legal representation regarding accessibility violations.
- Freely share information with other agencies, other states and internally.
- Work with the Chief of Staff, Human Resources, and Policy team to adopt or create, review, and amend policies. Communicate and facilitate adoption of new policies.
Knowledge and Experience in Accessibility
- Serve as the subject matter expert (SME) on all things accessible.
- Know, understand, and be able to apply the web accessibility standards (WCAG).
- Know, understand, and be able to apply federal laws and standards (Section 508 and related laws/standards).
- Perform research and maintain in-depth Knowledge of trends in accessibility, particularly within state governments, and changes to laws and guidance, including:
- Know, understand, and be able to apply the state’s accessibility laws as well as guidance, directives, and recommendations from OIT.
- Adopt standard language from accessibility experts for consistency across all content. Develop and use language standards for communication where none are provided/available.
- Understand accessibility compliance vs. accommodations.
- Identify accessibility issues, identify the tools to address issues and perform the work to correct accessibility issues,
- Know or learn new tools, implement those tools, and train others to use them.
- Troubleshoot, report and track issues.
- Coordinate and collaborate with developers of websites, reports, and documents (any digital content creation) to ensure new development includes accessibility compliance, in other words, create accessibility compliant objects from inception.
- Design, execute and guide others on the testing strategy.
- Manage manual and tool testing of all applications, websites (internal and external), and documents, images, videos, and other content to identify and remediate pages, content and features that fail to meet accessibility standards or best practices.
- Test and support accessibility testing, analyze object types, propose, and implement remediation solutions. Resolve any disputes about testing and remediation.
- Perform manual testing and build reusable test automation for future use, when possible.
- Create and maintain accessibility workflows.
- Ensure documents, images, videos, and other content hosted on the websites (or are shared internally or externally through any method (email, shared files, SharePoint, meeting handouts, etc.)), meet accessibility standards.
- Provide guidance and general oversight of the SiteImprove (provided by OIT) tool and other testing and remediation tools.
- Provide training to staff to ensure they understand the importance of accessibility and ways to incorporate accessibility into the workplace.
- Provide training and assistance to all digital web editors, report developers and content contributors within to ensure they know how to create content that meets accessibility standards.
- Create detailed project plan(s) and other project management artifacts to support the accessibility project.
- Create documents to track and communicate progress.
- Create and maintain an accessibility objects inventory.
- Develop a method for tracking issues reported by the testing/remediation team members including:
- Diagnosing, documenting, and resolving reported issues.
- Communicating solutions with the testing/remediation team members.
- Create and distribute accessibility documentation. This may include but is not limited to, accessibility training, policies, guidelines, tools, issues, processes, coordination efforts, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Location is Denver, CO. Position is Fully Remote.
Any offer of employment will be conditional, based on successfully passing a Criminal Background Check.
Meridian Technology Group is committed to equal employment opportunity (EEO) and non-discrimination for all employees in all job classifications and for prospective employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal or state law. All hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States. We are unable to sponsor applicants for work visas therefore, please do not apply if you are not eligible to work without sponsorship, as sponsorship is not available at this time. No 3rd party companies/candidates.
Please apply with your resume now or
contact us for more details:
Meridian Technology Group Recruiting Team
(503)697-1600 in Oregon
(800)755-1038 outside Oregon
Learn how to earn up to $1,000 with Meridian’s Referral Program.