Operational Risk Analyst
Tualatin, OR 97062 US | Fully Remote TELECOMMUTE US
Meridian Technology Group is seeking an Operational Risk Analyst.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- The energy sector is undergoing rapid and complex transformation, shaped by regulatory, policy, economic, technology, social and climate forces. In this role, you will help senior leadership and key business partners to understand, quantify and act upon uncertainty in an increasingly complex and data driven business landscape. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leading Power Operations Risk Management running and analyzing operational report. Work with Power Operation on assessing trading risk limits and assessments. development of new quantitative models, validating and/or enhancing existing models, and assisting internal partners and staff in understanding and using the models for effective risk analysis and decision making.
- Providing analysis for trading, portfolio management, origination, energy market risk, credit risk and finance; interpreting and sharing qualitative insights and feedback from commercial teams into quantifiable terms to help improve performance.
- Independently initiating and analyzing surrounding optimization in competitive markets, stochastic simulations, and the interplay between zero- or low-marginal cost resources and traditional energy generators.
- Identifying and implementing effective approaches to quantitatively evaluate energy infrastructure benefits and costs, as well as risks and risk mitigation.
- Design complex valuation and price models for structured products including tolling agreements, PPA agreements, full requirements/load-following deals, shaped products, revenue puts, exotic options (swaptions, basket options, look-back options, heat rate options, etc.), weather derivatives, unit contingency, etc.
- Understand risk metrics models such as Value at Risk (VaR), Mark to Market, Gross Margin at Risk (GMaR).
- Proposing and implementing portfolio and asset optimization frameworks. Will build bespoke frameworks for exploring, designing, and deploying systematic portfolio strategies, including generation asset optimization, natural gas storage and transportation optimization, cross-commodity hedge optimization (optimal hedge ratio) and FTR hedging/bidding optimization.
- Leading quantitative research and modeling tasks related to macro industry trends, energy markets, ancillary services, capacity markets and commercial activities using tools such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, game theory, supply and demand and price simulation models, probabilistic models, option valuation tools, and portfolio characteristic desk tools.
- Provide statistical analysis and quantitative tools for trading and hedging purposes, including model commodity data for specific markets and produce ad hoc analysis based on short-term market developments.
- Communicating effectively and influentially to diverse audiences about modeling methodologies, analyses and results in business practical terms that include a focus on the “why.”
- When needed, provide expert witness testimony for market and regulatory proceedings.
- Make decision using the existing Risk Management Policy and Procedure framework.
To achieve success, the person in this role must bring a combination of expert technical skills and market awareness, strong competence in communication and influence and the ability to quickly establish trust and credibility by understanding the firm’s current risk posture and providing compelling intelligence to drive critical decisions. Measures of success in this position include achievement of strategic business outcomes, development of creative and sustainable analytical models, identification of risks and risk mitigation plans, demonstration of sound decision making, and effective communication of actionable analyses to key stakeholders.
Strong candidates will have:
- Broad background in energy and quantitative risk analysis in North America with a focus on power, natural gas, and renewables.
- BS or MS - discipline (engineering, statistics, science discipline, economics, and finance).
- 3 – 4 or more years of experience in a quantitative role within the energy industry or related academic setting with application in the energy industry. Experience with wholesale power and/or gas markets and quantitative energy trading experience is preferred.
- Developed expertise in at least one of the following techniques: time series analysis, advanced regression and econometric techniques, advanced optimization techniques leveraging commercial solvers.
- Experience with Production Cost Modeling
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Ability to communicate and work with different organizations outside of risk management.
- Experience with Endur ETRM is a plus.
Team and Work Environment
High-level overview of the team size, roles, its initiatives/deliverables, and any tool/technologies specific to the team/department/project you will be supporting:
- 6 team members, currently “A day in the life” of this role:
- Mostly it would involve Risk and Position reporting for commodity trading. Interaction level with this role have the team members and hiring manager:
- High level of interaction on a daily basis. The top priority for the worker over the first few weeks/months:
- First few weeks would be training (2 -3 weeks). By months 2 will be start doing the day today work under supervision of experience team members. The candidate can run reports and perform some tasks using procedures and processes. The biggest challenge in this role:
- Having full understanding of the portfolio. This comes with time.
Is utilities experience required? (Y/N) Yes, preferred:
- Broad background in energy and quantitative risk analysis in North America with a focus on power, natural gas, and renewables
Top 3 Must-Haves (Hard and/or Soft Skills):
- 1. Experience with Production Cost Modeling 2. Experience with wholesale power and/or gas markets 3. Experience with Risk Management System
- 1. Experience with Endur ETRM 2. Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel 3. Experience to translate numbers to actionable plan for coworkers
- BS or MS discipline (engineering, statistics, science discipline, economics).
Location is Portland metro area, OR. Position is fully Remote.
Any offer of employment will be conditional, based on successfully passing a Criminal Background Check.
Meridian Technology Group is committed to equal employment opportunity (EEO) and non-discrimination for all employees in all job classifications and for prospective employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal or state law. All hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States. We are unable to sponsor applicants for work visas therefore, please do not apply if you are not eligible to work without sponsorship, as sponsorship is not available at this time. No 3rd party companies/candidates.
Please apply with your resume now or
contact us for more details:
Meridian Technology Group Recruiting Team
(503)697-1600 in Oregon
(800)755-1038 outside Oregon
Learn how to earn up to $1,000 with Meridian’s Referral Program.