Propulsion Design Engineer
Hawthorne, CA | Contract
Location/City: CA - Hawthorne
Job Type: Contract
Meridian Technology Group is seeking a Propulsion Design Engineer .
Due to ITAR requirements, only US Citizens or Green Card holders are eligible for consideration. Additionally, F-1 Visa holders are NOT eligible for consideration.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ability to work in a team-based environment using requirements for a new propulsion system or component and convert those requirements into one or more 3-dimensional concepts, using NX, in the form of a mechanical layout for review.
- Ability to operate in the fast-paced environment, where change of direction is frequent. The ability to manage change effectively, respond to change quickly, and actively put risk mitigation plans in place are critical.
- Consult with manufacturing engineers, thermal and structural analysts, development engineers, materials and process engineers and other product team members to refine the concept into a viable prototype to be further pursued for testing, development, qualification and flight.
- Use ANSYS to conduct basic finite element analysis to iterate the concept until it reaches a level of maturity where it can be studied by the Propulsion Analysis group for final, comprehensive analysis as defined by the project objectives.
- Take a general conceptual layout of a system or component device and break it down into detail parts that balance requirements for operability, reliability, cost, weight, producibility and several other criteria. Generate detail part production drawings fully dimensioned with GD&T verified to meet functional requirements by use of tolerance stackups.
- Interface with vendor or in-house fabrication and assembly teams during design and prototype hardware builds. Incorporate any producibility lessons learned by design change and drawing revision.
- Support development testing efforts by incorporating design changes if necessary to further improve hardware performance or reliability.
- Provide ongoing technical support to production effort with engineering change orders to make design changes that improve producibility or reliability.
- Responsible for configuration management at the system or subsystem level using Teamcenter.
- Results will meet requirements, applicable specifications and be manufacturable.
- Ability to design parts, tooling and test fixtures necessary to build rocket engine hardware
- Familiar with high strength, oxidation resistant, propellant compatible materials for use in cryogenic and high temperature environments
- Familiar with manufacturing capabilities (typical tolerances) and processes: turning, milling, drilling, reaming, EDM, grinding, brazing, welding, 3D printing
- Familiar with mechanical seals (metallic and elastomeric o-rings) and threaded fasteners
- Knowledge of high pressure fluid tubing systems and typical fittings for aerospace hardware and applicable standards
- Basic understanding of NDT techniques and how to design hardware for ease of inspection
- Fundamental understanding and ability to implement GD&T
- Ability to do hand calcs to roughly size structural elements of a design
- Ability to pre-size components using finite element modeling
Meridian Technology Group is committed to equal employment opportunity (EEO) and non-discrimination for all employees in all job classifications and for prospective employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal or state law. All hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States. We are unable to sponsor applicants for work visas. No 3rd party companies/candidates.
Please email your resume now or
contact us for more details:
Meridian Technology Group Recruiting Team
(214)273-4497 (817)601-4651 in Texas
(800)698-0853 outside Texas
click to apply